What You Should Know
• Through the Carpet America Recovery Effort (CARE), carpet companies are taking the initiative to work with government entities and product suppliers to develop market-based solutions for the recycling and use of post-consumer carpet. For more information, visit carpetrecovery.org.
• The industry is working with individual educational institutions to help preserve and recycle carpet.
• Third Creek Elementary School in Statesville, NC, used recycled-content carpet to meet its “green” goal of having recycled content in more than 50 percent of the building materials for this 92,000 square-foot-facility.
• The Kennedy School at Harvard University renovated its 2,400-square-foot computer lab using carpet tiles made from recycled carpet.
• The industry has also taken steps to be more green in carpet production. It is one of the only industries in the United States that voluntarily meets the Kyoto Protocol for carbon dioxide emissions.
• The amount of energy used to produce a square yard of carpet has fallen 70% since 1990. The amount of water used has dropped 46% in the same time period.