So you start shopping, find the perfect carpet for your home and you can’t wait to get it installed. There are a few steps you still need to take before you take steps on your new carpet.
The Carpet and Rug Institute offers these tips on preparing your home for carpet installation.
Here are the tips:
- Remove all breakable items from area being carpeted and detach and store wiring from TVs, computers, and other electronics.
- Determine who will remove and dispose of the existing carpet and cushion. Check for recycling options in your area.
- Think about carpet placement. Ask that the carpet seams be placed in less visible areas, but don’t expect seams to be invisible.
- Understand that carpet installed over a separate cushion must be power stretched to prevent bubbling and wrinkling later.
- Insist that the installer follow the instructions from the carpet manufacturer and/or those set forth in the CRI Installation Standard.
- Vacuum the old carpet before it is removed to keep any dust and particles from becoming airborne. Vacuum the bare floors (or have your installer do this) before they put down the new carpet and pad.