What You Should Know
• Through the Carpet America Recovery Effort (CARE), carpet companies are taking the initiative to work with government entities and product suppliers to develop market-based solutions for the recycling and use of postconsumer carpet. For more information, visit carpetrecovery.org.
• It is estimated that carpet recycling efforts currently have saved nearly 4 billion pounds of waste from being deposited in U.S. landfills.
• The industry works with individual healthcare facilities on recycling efforts. One example is Boulder Community Foothills Hospital (BCFH) in Colorado. The hospital used carpet tile with high-recycled content in its new maternity and pediatric service facility. The new carpet tile has 63 percent recycled content.
• The industry has also taken steps to be more green in carpet production. It is one of the only industries in the United States that voluntarily meets the Kyoto Protocol for carbon dioxide emissions.
• The amount of energy used to produce a square yard of carpet has fallen 70% since 1990. The amount of water used has dropped 46% in the same time period.